Sunday 29 May 2011

The Ballon goes up!

The Balloon Goes Up!



The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give Him thanks in song.


Lord even though may heart may feel down at times, help me to trust in You. We wander through life unprotected. The idea of a shield is perhaps quite a foreign concept. When we hear the news, or see disturbing images in the media, without the full protection of Christ on us, it may cause a slight wobble in the way we view Life and the world around us.
I was walking the fields and noticed a large balloon deflated; lying on the ground. Balloons often do fall down on open fields, on farm land. Where there are the least obstacles. In large open spaces, it is the unseen obstacles that ground them: stronger gusts and squalls buffet them, taking them higher suddenly, then lower. With each buffet, the pressure of the gases in their inner space, lessen. Imperceptibly, the balloon's resistance to outside forces becomes less and less. The force of the wind drops. The gas inside the balloon has become weighty, the rubber skin less taut: skimming trees and ground, it's boldness cannot prevail; then there is the inevitable tear of rubber, and crash to the ground. The balloon will often have a paper tag on it; at times unreadable because of rain or mud spatterings.
I think of the event that started that balloon's life. A whole community gathered in anticipation; thoughts of raising money for cancer, or some other good cause. The hope and excitement, of sharing the spirit of doing good together.
Are we like balloons starting a race? Some days we have a clear vision of where our life is going. We feel positive, we look up, face the world and all it has to throw at us. Yes, we actually feel buoyant. If your life was a balloon, what colour would it be? And who would be guiding it? Would it achieve the goal of fulfilling the hope with which you once filled it? Identify the places where you become vulnerable. A person whose comments and attitude will hurt you? A lack of energy and motivation? Is it food related? A situation in the past, that replays itself in your mind; is it a place where lies some unforgiveness? Is there a holding back? Thus causing an inability to surmount such an obstacle?
Whatever your personal answers, God knows them. May his overwhelming Love protect you on your journey today. Allow his strength to fill you. He follows your days like a protective cloud watching over you. If we spend time filling our thoughts with his Word daily, this is the shield that the rest of the world does not even perceive. We are forgiven. Each day is a new start. A better and more fulfilling journey: one that sees the vastness of the sky, new possibilities; with eyes raised heavenward - rather than the obstacles below. No time for a bible study before work? On those occasions, offer a couple of lines from a praise song that you know. Then feel your balloon rise higher in the sky!

Isaiah 44:22
I have swept away your offences like a cloud, your sins are like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you. Sing for joy, O heavens, for the Lord has done this: shout aloud, O earth beneath.


Psalm 139:7-10
Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the Dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

Also verse Psalm 139:23
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment